The introduction of the new drone Skydio X10 for police use
The manufacturer of the drone Skydio has unveiled their latest model, the Skydio X10, specifically designed for law enforcement purposes. The goal of Skydio is to provide drones that enhance public safety.
Key features of the Skydio X10 drone:
- Capable of reaching speeds up to 72.5 km/h
- Easily stored in the trunk of a police car
- Equipped with infrared sensors for tracking individuals and autonomous flight in low-light conditions
- Built-in AI technology enables the drone to recognize its surroundings, collect data automatically, and improve its capabilities over time
- Includes 4 compartments for additional equipment, such as a speaker, spool, or parachute for emergency landings
- Features a camera with a 65x zoom, enabling the reading of license plates from a distance of nearly 243 meters and monitoring of vehicles up to 4.8 kilometers away
The Skydio X10 drone possesses the ability to detect cracks in concrete as well as read license plates from a distance of 243 meters.
Skydio initially focused on selling drones for athletic purposes when it was established nearly a decade ago. However, in 2020, Skydio became one of several companies selected for use by US military departments. The company’s clientele now includes BNSF Railway, utilities, and the New York Police Department (NYPD).
New York City mayor, Eric Adams, has expressed his support for the NYPD’s use of drones to monitor flight licenses and aid in halting car chases. Nevertheless, the NYPD’s interest in using drones has raised concerns from civil rights organizations such as the ACLU and Surveillance Technology Oversight Project. These organizations worry about potential violations of citizens’ rights.
As part of the Skydio X10 production, Skydio has announced a