Local authorities refused to communicate a first assessment of the number of victims, Wednesday night, and the motivations of the suspect are unknown.
Le Monde with AFP
An armed man of a bow and arrows killed several people and injured several others, Wednesday, October 13, in Kongsberg, in the south-east of Norway, before being arrested by the police. A local police officer, Oyvind Aas, took the floor at 10 pm to explain that he was “too early to pronounce on the mobile” acts of the suspect, since it had “not heard” , and refused to pronounce on a first assessment of the number of victims.
“We can unfortunately confirm that there are several wounded and also, unfortunately, several killed,” he said early in the evening at a first press conference. “According to our information, there is only one person involved,” he added, stating that the authorities were not looking for other suspects.
The arrested man was led to the police station of the neighboring town of Drammen. “Given the progress of the facts, it is natural to assess whether it is a terrorist attack,” said Aas, commenting on the investigation.
The incident occurred shortly before 6:30 pm in the city center of Kongsberg, a city of about 25,000 inhabitants located 80 kilometers southwest of Oslo, the capital Norwegian. On Twitter, Local police wrote that a man had been Observed , armed with a bow and arrows, and that it used it by targeting people.
The population has been called upon to stay at home. Several neighborhoods were curly, television images showing an important deployment of police forces in arms and ambulances. A helicopter and a deminate team were also dispatched.
Interest intelligence services, PST, have been alerted. The NRK public broadcast has published on its website a photo sent by a witness showing a black arrow securely planted in a wall.